Monday 25 June 2012

Strawberries






Its strawberry season.  Probably one of my favourite times of the year.  You just can't beat a strawberry, picked fresh off the plant, still warm from the sunshine.  

I love taking the kids with us to the strawberry patch.  I think its so important for them to see where food comes from and for them to be involved in growing, harvesting and preserving it.  It gives them a real sense of satisfaction when they get to be involved and they're always more willing to eat something they've helped to make.  Strawberries are the most kid friendly of crops.  They can be involved in every stage.  In fact, they can whip up a batch of freezer jam with almost no help from me!

So now we've got many lovely Mason jars full of sweet strawberry jam, there are bags full of frozen strawberries saved for winter smoothies and there are sweet, sweet berries in my yogurt every morning.

Yum.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...