Monday 17 October 2011

Goals for this Year

So while attempting to plan this week, I was getting pretty overwhelmed!  I realised that I need a starting point that I can work off of.  I made up a list of goals I have for each of the kids for the year.  Now, this is my first year homeschooling and I have no idea if these are realistic or not.   For now, my goal is to teach all of these things.  Whether the kids actually retain the information or not...well, we'll see.

So here they are.


Brooklynn
Math
  • identify basic shapes 
  • compare objects
  • know positions (beside, behind, in, under, etc.)
  • classify objects (same, different, colour)
  • learn about currency and its value
  • count to 50
  • identify numbers (1-20)
  • patterns and sequencing
  • introduction to basic addition and subtraction 
Reading/ Writing
  • identify letters
  • know the sounds of sounds of letters 
  • expand vocabulary with weekly vocab words
  • learn sight words each week
  • write letters (from memory)
  • be able to answer questions about what we read together
History/ Geography
  •  read stories about historical figures, events, etc.
  • introduction to basic map skills (what is a map, what is it for, how to read a map, using a compass)
Science
  • hands on activities; learning through exploration
  • nature walks
French
  • we will speak only french for at least 1 hour everyday
  • read 1 french book/ day, learn new french songs and rhymes
  • know colours, numbers 1-10, days of the week and months
Life Skills
  • complete simple household chores
  • help with baking and cooking
  • using scissors/ ruler
  • be able to recite address and phone number

Weston
Math:
  • counting 1-10
  • sorting
  • matching

Language (Weston is pretty much non-verbal, although he signs quite a bit, so this one is more about him hearing it than anything.  I will teach him the signs along with the words)
  • expand vocabulary with weekly vocab words
  • introduce letters/ sounds
French
  • we will speak only french for at least 1 hour per day
  • read 1 french book/ day

Life Skills
  • complete simple household chores
  • cut with scissors
  • hold a pencil properly
  • help with baking/ cooking
  • identify colours
  • identify body parts  
Amelia
Life Skills
  • don't cry
  • sleep through the night (hahahahaha...)

So there you have it.  Our goals for the year!! I'm looking forward to another day with B tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Stacey from Musicmakingmommy.blogspot.com
    Just stopping by to say thank you for linking up last week! I hope you will be back this Friday! I love this post! I try to plan and do learning activities with my girls as well. I love it. I'm following you now. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love this! I think I need to do this, too! Great idea to be so intentional with what we're teaching our kids! Oh, and thanks for your comment on my tot school post! The circle time board was a gift from a friend who used to teach preschool & wanted to encourage me as I homeschool my kids - very sweet and such a blessing! :) Z loves it & never lets me forget to do circle time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, as far as planning, I think planning from week to week is very hard - I get overwhelmed with it, too! I have heard of people who go away for a few days in the summer & plan out the whole year of school! I would love to be one of those people... :) I did take time during the summer to plan out the first few weeks of school, but I was also pregnant & then had a baby....so I only got done up through about 10 or 11 weeks- it is much more stress-free than when I was planning week to week last year! Just something to keep in mind for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like such a good idea! I'd love to have to whole year planned and not have to think about it anymore. I just don't know if I'm that organized...or able to commit! haha, I'm always changing things up! I should definitely try it though. My I'll do the rest of the year's plans up over Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...